Tuesday 4 August 2015

Infinitely Crazy?!?!

Well things got a bit busy after London and I have since completed Outlaw Half, Endure 24, the Great East Swim and Outlaw which probably explains the lack of chapter 4, 5, 6 &7 ... so lets rectify that shall we!!
Things are gonna take a bit of a new approach at Ultra-Crazy HQ (www.fb.com/AnotherUltraCrazyYear) and it seems only right to write about it here to keep you all up to date with what is going on.

In the build up to Outlaw, one of the questions that people asked me more than any other was:
"How on earth do you fit the training in??!!?!?"
And the question that seems to be on everyone's lips since Outlaw is:
"Soooooo ... what's next??"  
This gave me an idea!!!! 
For 5 years now I have been writing about my training and events but not really about how I balance this with work/family life and so I have decided to be a bit more open about that side of things ... good AND bad so that people get a bit more understanding about what I do, how I do it and ultimately know the answers to these two questions.

I spent a good chunk of time on my bike last Sunday thinking about how I could build this into a year long challenge but I found that quite tricky as some of the ideas that I want to talk about aren't really challenges at all.  I realised that the things I want to address are actually things that I just want to focus on a bit more ... and that's when it hit me: 
I needed an Ultra-Crazy Bucket List to make sure I did all the things I want to do!!!   To focus more on home life, work life and the people that are important to me.


Now I'm not really a big fan of the term 'Bucket List' so I then spent a stupid amount of time trying to come up with my own title and I'd love to tell you what it is, but I am still thinking (feel free to jump in with a suggestion at any point).  I am sure it will come to me soon!!   

The other thing that I struggled with when I thought about this list is "What happens when I have achieved all the things I set out to achieve??" Simple ... the list never ends!!  There will always be 10 things on the list and as soon as one is ticked off ... it will be replaced by another!!
Ideas will be linked to events, family & work and I will do monthly updates (here and on my facebook page) to let people know what (if anything) has been achieved and what (if any) new targets have been added ... I will also give little insights along the way to give an idea of how they have been achieved which should address that "How on earth do you fit it all in" question.

Every 12 month challenge I have done so far has started on January 1st and finishes on December 31st but I can't actually think of a single reason not to start this one now and so that's exactly what I am going to do.  All my remaining events for 2015 will be incorporated in the initial list of 10 ideas so hopefully there will be a fair few changes in the list over the next few months.

And that's it!! New challenge ... LAUNCHED!!!  

I'm excited by this one because it's different to anything I have done before but will hopefully allow for a bit more me time and a bit more family time in between the events that I love taking part in. 

I guess all that is left to do is publish the first Infinitely Crazy list (ooooh, could that be the challenge title perhaps??!) ... It would be great to hear your thoughts and maybe even suggestions of what could come next!! 

1)  To complete September's London to Brighton night ride without stopping
2)  To go through with my skydive in August!!!!! 
3)  To start and finish 2016 with a swim/bike/run
4)  To organise a fundraiser for Breast Cancer Now (http://breastcancernow.org/)
5)  To have one family day out a month ... with NO training involved!!
6)  To get my dad to join me for a ride on the road bikes and a swim in the sea ... a few years ago this
      wouldn't have been a challenge but since his knee replacements and open heart surgery he is 
      terrified and so this may not be as easy as it first seems!!
7)  To complete 10 laps at Endure 24 and NOT fall asleep in the middle of the night!!
8)  To run at Parkrun in at least 5 different locations and for at least one of them to be with son no.1 
9)  To get to the start line of Outlaw without the stress I experienced this year ... and for my finish 
      time to say '14 ... something!!'
10) To volunteer at a big event

Stay connected to keep updated ... it's always good to have the support of others and please keep list ideas coming!!! Who knows ... I may be attempting one of your suggestions in the very near future!!

That's it for now but if you want more regular updates please take a look at www.fb.com/AnotherUltraCrazyYear as I post there almost daily! If blog reading is more your thing though ... I shall see you all at the end of August. 


SwimmerBicycleRunner

No comments:

Post a Comment