Sunday 1 February 2015

The M(a)c has returned!!

Well it's been quite a while since I sat down to write a blog ... but with 2015 set to be my last Ultra-Crazy Year (yes, I know I have said that before) I thought it would be good to get it all written down and recorded somewhere.  So, my aim is to write a review (of sorts) at the end of each month to keep you all updated with what has been going on!! 
Before I kick off with January though, I though it would make sense to tell you about 2015's challenge ...  as there may be some of you out there who don't know what it's all about.
SO, thanks to a twisted pelvis, horrible leg injury and a toe operation ... 2014 was a bit of a nightmare in terms of events and training!! I had to pull out of 5 events in the first 6 months of the year and the events that I did manage to do (in the second half of the year) were cautious to say the least!!  To say I have "unfinished business" is putting it mildly!!! 
It's because of (and thanks to) all these problems that I have come up with my challenge for 2015 ... but first, here's a bit of history!!! 

Almost 17 years ago I took part in my first ever half marathon. Since then I have completed twelve 5k's, twelve 10k's, two 10 milers, thirteen half marathons, twenty-two full marathons, 5 ultramarathons, two survival races, four open water swim events, one 100 mile bike sportive, two sprint tri's, three Olympic tri's, two 70.3 tri's and one full iron distance tri and in recent years, the challenges have become more and more ambitious:
2010's challenge was to complete 3 marathons in 8 weeks
2011's aim was to do 1,000 run/walk miles within 1 year
In 2012 I did 2012 miles in 2012 ... AND the first ever back to back MoonWalk
In 2013 I attempted and achieved one of every run distance (from 5k to ultramarathon) and one of every triathlon distance (from sprint to ironman)
In 2014 all plans were messed up because of the fall that left me with a twisted pelvis and in a whole world of pain - I still managed to sneak in a cheeky 24 hour event, a 70.3 tri, a 5k swim and a 50k run and a 100k night ride though ... much to my osteopath's annoyance!!! 

Which brings us back to 2015 and the new challenge ... 'Return of the M(a)c'.  
This year long challenge will see me revisiting as many of my past events as possible and trying to complete them with a PB!! I will also be including events that I had to withdraw from in 2014 due to injury and so far, the list is looking like this:
Paddock Wood Half (29/3)
The Brighton Marathon (12/4)
The London Marathon (26/4)
Outlaw 70.3 (31/5)
Endure 24 (13-14/6)
Great East (2 mile) Swim (20/6)
Outlaw Full (26/7)
Mill to Mill River Swim (16/8)
Royal Parks Half (11/9)
London to Brighton Night Ride (26/9)
Beachy Head Marathon (24/10)
And possibly Great South Run (25/10) ... but I'm still trying to work out if that is a little TOO crazy the day after Beachy!!! 

I am not a pro, just a very ordinary 40 (something) working mum of two who is determined to prove that if you set your mind to something and believe ... ANYTHING is possible!! 
Throughout this challenge, I will continue to support Breakthrough Breast Cancer (http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/) and any donations will go directly to this wonderful charity. This year I will also be taking on the role of a Team SOAS Ambassador (http://www.soasracing.com/) and I cannot recommend their kit enough ... particularly if you are one of those kinda girls who hates the whole 'pink it and shrink it' approach to female training apparel!! 

Well that's the background ... so what has happened so far?? 
Although I am keeping track of my swim/bike/run miles for 2015, I actually started training for my return to Outlaw on October the 27th - with a rest day ... RESULT!!  Since then, I have been managing 5-6 training sessions a week and sleeping like a baby because of it - The fact I have given up alcohol during the week may have something to do with this too!!
The weather through January really hasn't been very kind to those of us who are training for big events but I have managed to hit all but one training sessions and have only had to resort to the dreaded turbo trainer once.  I really am trying to love this piece of equipment  ... but I fear that it is a love affair that is destined for failure!!  
Balancing family life, work life, marathon training and IM training has really pushed my organisational skills to the limit this month and I have lists and notebooks everywhere to keep me on track.  I do worry that I might have become a little bit obsessive about it all but having said that, I have never felt more focused or determined so early in the year ... so I must be doing something right.  I just hope it continues through until at least July 26th!

So .. Long story short:
The weather has been rubbish
My long runs are getting longer ... but slower
My short runs are also getting longer ... and faster
My legs are getting stronger and my ass is getting bigger (I blame the bike)
I still hate the turbo
My swim times might just allow for a sub 1:30 swim in July

And the stats (since Oct 27th) for all you number crunchers:
9.02 miles (5:50:43 hrs) of swimming
713.89 miles (49:11:59 hrs) of biking
236.24 miles (37:42:36 hrs) of running
Which is a total mileage of 959.08 and a total time of 97:45:19 hrs spent training!! 

And in terms of 2015:
I have swum 6.65 miles ...
ridden 160.79 miles ...
and run 11.27 miles ... 
giving a total mileage of 267.72 for the year ... so far! 

And that's if for now, but if you want more regular updates, please take a look at www.fb.com/AnotherUltraCrazyYear as I post there very regularly.  If blog reading is more your thing ... I will see you at the end of February!! 

If you feel the urge to support this latest Ultra-Crazy challenge with a donation .. please head to www.justgiving.com/McUltra-Crazy/ and give what you can.  Thank you so much

       SwimmerBicycleRunner









 




No comments:

Post a Comment